As public events and schools are closing remember that these are precautionary measures in an effort to contain the virus, not a reason to panic. Here are some ways to prepare for COVID-19 and strategies to boost your immune system.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- Shortness of Breath
Who is at risk?
- Older adults (60+ years of age)
- People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
- Heart disease
- Lung disease
What can you do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19?
- Wash your hands
- Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing
- Practice social distancing – That means making the tough decision to skip public and family gatherings, because someone may actually be contagious long before they have symptoms. And if you have been exposed, self-quarantine, even if you feel okay
How do I strengthen my Immune System?
- Decrease sugar consumption
- Decrease alcohol intake
- Decrease processed food intake
- Increase fresh organic foods rich in Vitamin A, C, D, E, zinc, selenium
- Mustard Greens
- Brazil Nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Studies show that Natural Killer cells (our first line of immune defense) have reduced function when we are sleep deprived.
- Drink plenty of filtered water
- Stress Reduction
- Stress weakens your immune system
- Infrared Sauna can boost immunity to help protect from viruses by:
- Raising the body’s core temperature to create a false fever
- Stimulating immune function and makes the body less habitable for pathogens to fight off viruses
- Stimulating white blood cells and increases antibodies against germs by increasing cellular energy
- A build-up of toxins can lead to a host of common illnesses. Ridding the body of these toxic substances helps to relieve symptoms and overall health ecosystem
- A review article published in Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases suggested that some supplements may be helpful in dampening down the inflammatory response that causes acute respiratory syndrome in those who suffer from influenza and coronavirus.
1,200-1,800 mg (in place of ferulic acid)
15 g (or 100 mg PCB)
3,000 mg or more
Support when you have symptoms
- Vitamin C
Reshma Patel, PA-C, MMS, CEO / Founder of Ananda Integrative Medicine
Integrative & Holistic Practitioner Reshma Patel, PA-C, combines conventional Western medicine with an Integrative and Holistic approach to wellness at Ananda Integrative Medicine, in Brentwood, Los Angeles. She believes that the path to true health lies not in treating or masking symptoms, but by identifying and healing the root cause of health conditions. Her approach to medicine helps patients harness their natural healing ability to optimize body function and overall wellness.